Welcome to Taco Foundations, Episode 3, featuring Cesar Cano from Houston, Texas. In this episode, Cesar shows the authentic process for making corn tortillas (nixtamal). These are next level.
Recipe (text) & Video Below
2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 oz of lard
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp of baking powder
- 4 – 6 oz of ice water
Place flour, salt, and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Whisk to evenly distribute the salt and baking powder throughout the flour.
- Add the lard to the dry ingredients and mix by pressing the lard into the flour mixture with your fingers.
- Mix until flour and lard resemble the consistency of sand with large pebbles.
- Make a well in the mixing bowl by pushing mixture to the edges of the bowl.
- Add half of your water to the well in the center of the bowl.
- Using your middle and index fingers, swirl the water to the edge of the flour and pull in a small amount of flour into the water.
- Continue to do so until a sticky mess is at the center of the bowl.
- Begin to knead the dough by folding the sticky mess over the remaining flour until all water is absorbed.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured countertop and knead for 1-2 minutes until a smooth dough is achieved.
- Cover dough with a damp paper towel and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Portion dough into 1.5 oz. balls.
- Reshape portions to a ball and allow to rest another 10 minutes.
- Roll out each tortilla and cook.