Welcome to Taco Foundations, Episode 1, featuring Cesar Cano from Houston, Texas. In this episode, Cesar starts with the basics of many tacos, the tortilla. Learn how to make this basic tortilla that elevates any filling.
Recipe (text) & Video Below
- 1 cup of Maseca or favorite brand of masa flour
- 5 – 7 oz warm water
- Place one cup of masa flour in a deep mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the flour by pushing flour to the sides of the bowl.
- Add half of your water to the well in the center of the bowl.
- Using your middle and index fingers, swirl the water to the edge of the flour and pull in a small amount of flour into the water.
- Continue to do so until a sticky mess is at the center of the bowl.
- Begin to knead the dough by folding the sticky mess over the remaining flour until all water is absorbed.
- The dough needs to be moist and slightly sticky. As you roll the dough in your hands, it should leave a light coating on your hands. The texture should be like that of play-dough.
- Add 1 TBSP of your remaining water at a time until correct dough consistency is reached.
- Cover dough with a damp paper towel, and allow dough to rest for 5 minutes.
- Check consistency again and add water if necessary.
- Portion dough into 1.5 oz balls, flatten on a tortilla press, and cook.